Established in 2004, Lyons & Associates, P.C. started as a single boutique Somerville firm solely dedicated to zealous representation of clients in matrimonial and family law matters. Fast forward to today, the firm has rapidly grown with offices in Somerville, Morristown, and a third office opening in Freehold in the Fall of 2022.
The firm is also pleased to announce that it has expanded its practice areas, led by Joanna Adu, Esq. and Eric Marcy, Esq., and now provides legal services for all your personal and corporate needs.
Joanna Adu, Esq. currently Chairs the Business, Estates and Financial Practice Law Department at Lyons & Associates. Within this practice group the firm offers representation in the following areas:
- Wills, trusts and estates – While it may be generally true that death and taxes are two things that no one can avoid, having a proper estate plan in place can assist in minimizing or avoiding taxes assessed as a result of your death such an estate tax, inheritance tax, and generation skipping transfer taxes (unfortunately there is nothing we can do to minimize or avoid death). Further, establishing your estate plan allows you to decide for yourself who will handle the administration of your estate, who should be guardian for your minor children and who should (and should not) inherit from you. In addition to estate planning, our firm also represents clients in estate administration and estate litigation matters.
- Guardianships and post-guardianship litigation – In New Jersey, a guardianship action is instituted to appoint a legal guardian for an incapacitated adult over the age of 18. Appointment of a legal guardian in these circumstances cannot be done by consent, it can only be ordered by a Court based on the evidence presented. Further, once a guardianship application has been filed, it may not be withdrawn or voluntarily dismissed.
- Business entity formation, litigation, and consultation – A critical decision in starting a new business is the selection of the appropriate type of entity to create. Should it be a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability corporation (LLC), or corporation? The answer to this question will depend on your specific circumstances and plans, and directly impacts the taxability and liability protections that your business has. Additionally, ensuring that your business has strong governing documents like an operating agreement for an LLC, or a shareholder’s agreement for a corporation, can save significant time, money and effort down the road should an internal business dispute arise.
- Elder Law – This area of law encompasses a variety of legal issues affecting our aging population, including but not limited to estate planning, Medicaid Planning (otherwise known as Long-term Care Planning), and guardianships.
Eric Marcy, Esq. is a recent addition to the firm, bringing decades of litigation experience. Eric currently chairs the firm’s Criminal Defense, Professional Licensing, Administrative Law, and Complex Litigation Department. Lyons now offers representation in the following areas:
- General Criminal Practice – Federal, State, and Municipal Courts
- White Collar Crime Defense Including Tax Fraud
- Insurance Fraud and Health Care Investigations and Prosecutions
- Professional Licensing
- Representation of Law Enforcement Officers
- Sex Offenses, Megan’s Law, Community Notification, and Community Supervision for Life
- Domestic Violence Cases and Related Criminal Charges
- Parole Cases – Revocation, Planning, Administrative Appeals, and Appeals to the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court
- Municipal Court Practice, Disorderly Persons Offenses, DWI, Serious Motor Vehicle Offenses, Shoplifting, Assault, and other offenses heard in Municipal Court
- Consumer Fraud and Class Action Litigation
Our criminal laws and civil regulatory provisions are so pervasive that it is critical for people to consult with counsel at the earliest point in time of any investigation by law enforcement, audit by an insurance company, investigation by a State Agency, or inquiry by a professional licensing Board. Early action will protect your personal interests that may affect your liberty, your professional license, the economic security of your family, your business and yourself. Preventing and heading off – the return of an indictment, an insurance carrier’s referral to law enforcement, or a hearing before a Licensing Board, may save you from the emotional and economic costs of litigation and the penalties that might otherwise be imposed. Our philosophy in approaching criminal defense and related legal matters is to be aggressive, thorough, and committed to get the best possible result for the Client.
At Lyons & Associates, P.C., we seek to be Your Lighthouse in the Storm™. We will aggressively pursue your goals and protect your interests in court, while also taking a holistic approach that focuses on helping you recover from the legal crisis you may be currently encountering.
To learn more about our expanded practice areas, or to schedule a private consultation with one of our experienced attorneys we invite you to visit our website https://www.lyonspc.com, or by contacting our office at (908) 575-9777. To learn more about Eric and Joanna, we invite you to visit their online bios at https://www.lyonspc.com/eric-marcy/ and https://www.lyonspc.com/joanna-r-adu/
This article was done in partnership with Lyons & Associates, P.C.