1. How many children do you have and what are their age(s)?
One-he is 14.5 years old
2. How long have you lived in Hudson County? What made you decide to live here?
35 years, proud to be born and raised here 😬
3. What’s your favorite family activity in Jersey City?
We love taking walks at Liberty State Park because the fresh, crisp air and New York skyline views NEVER get old!
4. Where’s your favorite place to eat and/or shop in JC?
I love Harry’s Daughter, they serve the best food & drinks and are always so kind and welcoming!
5. What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I swear like a sailor 😊
6. What are you doing to stay sane during Covid for yourself?
Netflix has become my best friend haha.
No, I’m a Preschool teacher so for the most part I don’t keep still. I like creating and sharing ideas with others on how to keep their young children engaged at home.
7. Any tips or recommendations for parents to entertain/educate their children during this time?
Yes, don’t feel bad if screen time becomes a thing for now. PBS shows are my favorite! Entertaining and teaches so much! When you have time on the weekends, do outdoor activities such as nature walks, scavenger hunts, cloud watching, etc. The simple things are the BEST memories for a young child, it will be the foundation of them.
8. Anyone special you’d like to thank for helping you through parenthood?
I come from a long line of strong, independent Latina women who have taught me the characteristics of being a mother. From nourishing to disciplining my child to planting our cultural beliefs in his life. But, a few years ago I met a woman and she changed my world. She taught me that it’s okay to ask your child about their feelings and talk about it, talk about body image and realize everyone is beautiful and different in their own way, NO MATTER THEIR SIZE. Also, that it’s okay to say I love you to your children unlimited amounts of times in a day. My family didn’t talk about feelings or ask how I’m feeling on a daily. My family criticized me because I wasn’t shaped like the rest of them, I was a little bigger them and still am. I knew my family loved me for sure but I wanted to hear it and didn’t. As a mother, teacher, person, daughter sister and friend this taught me so much especially to break the cycle for my children and the generations to come.
9. Are you involved in a business venture, a local organization, a creative endeavor, or in the corporate world? Please share!
Almost a year and a half ago, I launched my own business! I create sensory bins for children of all ages. Like I said, I’m a Preschool teacher so I would create these HUGE table (pre- COVID) for my students to enjoy in the classroom. The tables would be based on our units/ lessons. Then, one day a lightbulb turned on and I thought, hmm I feel like kiddos and mamas at home would have a blast with this! The best part is all bins are handmade in my home. I am currently working on my website that will launch in early 2021. (Make sure to check her out on @livingprektively )
10. How has this community been instrumental in getting you to where you are now?
Jersey City has truly inspiring entrepreneurs and that motivated me to do what I love which is teach and create hands-on materials for children that I can’t physically reach and make that impact.